17 July 2020

CEED 2020 Part B sketching solutions


In this post, I will share my sketching attempts for CEED 2020 Part B subjective paper to give you an idea of how I would solve the questions if I were to give the exam. The way I solved might not be the correct way, but at least I don't want to stop myself from sharing how I would do. Hope you find this helpful.

Note:
  1. I drew all the sketches digitally. However, you are supposed to do this using pencils/pen as instructed in the question paper.
  2. I might have missed perspective or some important elements, you can understand that. As you know I'm just average at sketching. This post is just to give you an idea.

Tips for answering the subjective questions

I keep repeating the below tips to stress the importance of the points
  1. Read, read, and read.......read and understand the question carefully. Sketch only that asked in the question. It's not necessary to do the extra portion...no need to prove your artistic skills. If mentioned specifically (like in Q1 they mentioned not to draw the environment), don't do the extra works. It will result in minus marking!
  2. Make sure you show everything required in the questions....the specific things like for ex. the flies in Q1
  3. Understand the evaluation criteria and try to meet them.....to your level best
  4. Use only the media mentioned in the question
  5. Try not to use rulers/scale even if not mentioned in the question
You can check a detailed list of tips for subjective question in this post - walking stick design problem sketch


Q1) 


My sketch solutions for Q1




Points to remember:
  1. Maintain the same size and proportion of the lady and her features - this includes smaller details like eyes, eyebrows (which is not required here), size of the earrings, bangles etc. In short, you are supposed to replicate the same character as given in the question
  2. Maintain the same perspective as far as possible - my suggestion. Like for ex., I've tried to maintain the same view of the basket with the fishes. 
  3. Attempt only those parts that are required in the questions
Mistakes that you should avoid:
  1. Drawing the platform on top of which she was seated.
  2. Sketch of the surroundings like market scenario, fellow sellers etc. Sketching her in a standing position for both the two questions.
  3. Giving additional features to her, like wrinkles, shades, eyebrows, changing ear rings, bangles etc.
  4. Missing the towel in the first sketch or showing a handkerchief instead of the towel. 

Here is the timelapse video of how I drew this (just for understanding. Nothing to do with sketching)




Q2) 


My sketch solutions for Q2



Mistakes that you should avoid:
  1. Resizing the shapes (line as well as the circle), like using smaller/bigger size circle, changing the arc radius, or making a longer/shorter length line. You should use the same line length and the same radius of the circle. 
  2. The three objects should maintain the same orientations in all the sketches. 
  3. Missing one or two of the shapes given.
  4. Try making the shapes in the correct distances with respect to the enclosing/bounding box as shown in the questions, like I've maintained in all the 10 solutions - just my suggestion.

Q3)


My sketch solutions for Q3


I would prefer not to draw the backgrounds for the icons. In fact, for the 4th solutions, I should've used one or at the max two flowers, which I feel is sufficient and makes a good icon.


Q4) 


My sketch solution for Q4


Points to remember:
  1. Understand and figure out the light direction, that would result in the shadow as shown in the question. Based on that, you can consider showing the shadows for the body. Remember, the body shall be mostly plastic or plastic mix and so you won't see the shining reflection as seen for the metal top mixer.
  2. Knobs and the switches should be drawn with the utmost care. In my sketch, I could've drawn it even better. 
  3. The view (3D orientation) of the mixer should match the view of the body to be drawn. But, don't change the orientation of the top mixer to match with the body (in case you end up drawing the body first and then the mixer). I would prefer to draw the top mixer first and match the bottom body according to the top mixer's perspective. 


Q5) 


My sketch solutions for Q5


 
Problem description 
  1. Sharp pain at the palm surface where the toothbrush tail end is being pressed hard
  2. Uncomfortable and slip of grip at the mid-level while brushing
  3. Pain and rubbing of the brush back on the gums of the tooth during the front and back action
  4. Difficulty to reach the backmost teeth, causing discomfort of opening the mouth wide
  5. Difficulty in stretching the mouth wide when the brush is used to clean the front sides
Oops....I think I forgot to draw the 6th problem :D I hope that's ok. 

Points to remember:
  1. Don't spend time drawing a complete person or complete hand. The solutions should highlight the key highlights - the problems because of using the toothpaste. Draw only those parts that are required to express the problems. You can see how I have drawn partial hands and facial features. I think this should work.
  2. You don't want to draw the backgrounds and all. Not at all needed. 
  3. The problem description is supposed to come beneath the respective image. I've shown them separately for my convenience. 
  4. Don't show the solution :) or propose/suggest solutions in the description.

Sketching Level required/sufficient for CEED and UCEED exams




Hope this is useful.


22 comments:

  1. Thank you for well explaining each and every aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In question no. 5 nowhere it is mentioned that we have to sketch. So is it necessary for us to draw?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have to re read the question :)
      It is mentioned to illustrate in the second line as ‘illustrate and annotate......’ So it is necessary to draw!

      Delete
    2. Yes now I see. I have one more doubt. Is it necessary for us to draw hands? Like the first problem you mentioned is that a user might feel a pain on his palm due to the sharp tail at the end. So instead of drawing the user's hand can we just draw a magnified part of the tail end of the toothbrush and annotate the same problem that you have described.

      Delete
    3. I think basically we need to annotate the problem of the effect due to the product (tooth brush) but if you feel there is a better way to demonstrate the prob then yes u can..

      Delete
  3. In question no. 1, mistakes that we should aboid: 1)Drawing the platform on top of which she was seated.
    Why so? As it's already mentioned in the question that "Gauri sitting at her spot".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey!
    In question no. 1, why should we not draw the platform on top of which she was seated?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sir can we add a little sarcasm in the sketches? For example, in the first question of part B where we have to draw the woman angry at the customers, can we draw the fishes in the basket being dead yet scared of the woman as she is quite angry? Just the expressions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m bit hesitant to do so. Though the idea is creative, yet, the situation shall get misinterpreted and the focus of the examiner might shift from observing the actual requirement. Any modification to that of the original (like the expressions of the fish) will actually make the viewers or the examiner feel that we are trying to communicate that the fish has actually got scared due to the lady shout and hence the meaning might change. I suggest go with the usual way, just my views....upto u

      Delete
  6. Thank you very well explained...

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI BHANU
    i'm having a doubt in the ceed mock test 2016 in which we have to count the number of non coloured pencils.
    how did you get 13.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sir, is there a way for us to send you our attempts at solving previous year papers for a review? It will be a great help if we can do that and get guidance from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can send through one of my social media. I can share my mail Id there

      Delete
  9. GOOD WORK. YOUR 2D SKILLS ARE EXTRAORDINARY

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing 2D skills.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How much marks for the part B ,sir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100 marks for part B and 100 for part A

      Delete
  12. Thanks for sharing this! I’m delighted with this information, where such important moments are captured. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Please someone tell me this - For sketching, we need to draw the rough figure with pencil, and then we need to draw the final lines over the image using pen and erase the pencil work done earlier. Am i right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not necessarily, but this could be one way. It depends on you - what you think is the best way of communicating. Some even keep the rough pencil strokes along with the detailed work (mix of both). Some would prefer to draw only the final sketch in one go.

      Delete

Your comment will be sent to Bhanu for his approval. It will get published after his approval. You will receive mail for all the replies to your comment.